Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Risk is More than a Leap


As I have been applying this challenge of Risk this year, I have found myself more willing to leap out into adventures God has for me more.  Some of these risks have been talking to a friend about Jesus, practicing stillness before God and even inviting a total stranger to church that I met at the supermarket.

It has been a rush to take a leap into sometimes shark-infested waters that God has brought me to as I have seen that He is there to make sure I never fall (at least too hard).  I can see that I am getting braver when it comes to this kind of risk.

However, although I have gotten better at this, I have also discovered that there is another even more significant risk God has challenged me to take.  You see, it is one thing to jump off the boat into shark-infested waters, but an even more significant risk to keep swimming through them after I have jumped.  I guess what I am saying is that risk is more than just as leap into God’s adventure, but also the determination to faithfully continue in the adventure.

This is why I am drawn to the apostle Peter.  He was a risk-taker.  No follower of Jesus in the Bible took more leaps of risk than he did.  He left his livelihood to go with Jesus, he got out of the boat to walk to Jesus on the water, he asked questions that the other disciples no doubt had but were afraid to ask and he made dramatic statements of devotion to Jesus.  

It is really cool that he risked where no one else would have.  Granted many times when he did leap he fell flat on his face:  he lost faith when walking on water, asked some really “out there” questions and even denied Jesus right after claiming undying allegiance to Him.

While all of this is true, the one aspect that inspires me about Peter is that, despite his failures, He kept going.  He continued in his risk-taking.  Even after he denied Jesus, he continued to pledge allegiance to Jesus and because he continued, he experienced life as a Spirit-empowered evangelist and effective witness for Jesus to countless people.

Sometimes I find it easier to leap into shark infested waters than to swim in them.  Single risks can be easier to take.  I mean I can share Christ with a total stranger, I may never see them again, so why not leap?  But it is much more of a risk to live Jesus before my neighbors who see me every day.  That risk takes endurance.

This risk of endurance in Jesus may not be as spectacular as taking great stands for Jesus or acts of great honesty with God, but enduring in risks leave a more lasting impact not only on the world around us, but also in my trust in a God who that promises to be with me wherever we go. 
So, as you go about you week, leap, but keep swimming!

No comments:

Post a Comment